Football West Night Series Final, Mandurah City 1 Olympic Kingsway 0

The Pod Army were in full voice on Saturday night, as Mandurah City played Olympic Kingsway in the State League Night series final at Macedonia Park.

Mandurah created the first chance of the night when in the 8th minute, Harry Collins fired in a shot which went just wide of the post.

The half was then played in a similar fashion to the semi final against Subiaco. Both teams were trying to work out how each other was playing with lots of effort but not much action in either penalty box.

Mid way through the first half, Mandurah managed to intercept the ball and Joe O’Brian’s goalward bound shot took a deflection resulting in a corner. From the corner, Graham Tough leapt high and his header was heading for the goal before the Kingsway’s goalkeeper got his fingertips to the ball and diverted the header on tot he post before it was cleared.

O’Brian was now beginning to get the better of the Kingsway defence and was put through on goal in the 31st minute but once again, the Kingsway keeper saved his shot and it was cleared to safety.

Kingsway had their first chance of the game in the 39th minute and after beating a couple of Mandurah defenders, the striker fired a shot that was high, wide and not troubling the Mandurah goal.

Another attack from Mandurah in the 41st minute, with a goal mouth scramble with ended with John Baird’s shot being deflected for a corner.

Just a minute before half time, a cross came in from the wing and O’Brian’s effort agonisingly hit the cross bar and cleared away.

Mandurah started the second half and like the first half, both teams were happy to just try and keep possession of the ball.

Somewhat against the run of play, Kingsway broke down the left hand side in the 52nd minute and the attacking player’s shot hit the post and another Kingsway’s attacker but the rebound in the back of the net. Kingsway went off and celebrated but the referee noticed his assistant had his flag up and after a short consultation, the goal was ruled out for offside.

Kingsway were now starting to get into the game and in the 60th minute, another break down the left hand side was crossed in and the Kingsway striker, Van Der Pearl flicked the ball towards the goal but Dylan Wilson in the Mandurah goal saved with his feet.

Finally the deadlock was broken in the 69th minute. Jeff Bright on the left hand side worked the ball to Substitute Alex Grayson, who got the bar line before delivering a left footed cross straight on the head on Joe O’Brian, whose header beat the Kingsway keeper to make it 1-0 to the Dolphins.

This put new life into Kingsway. Just a few moments later another attack down the left hand side resulted in a corner and from that corner, the header went just wide.

Another attack in the 86th minute from Kingsway down the left hand side resulted in a dangerous cross but no Kingsway attacker was there to put the ball into the net.

Kingsway continued to attack, a free kick on the right hand edge of the box was put in and the free header from the Kingsway player was put wide.

Deep into injury time, Kingsway tried in vain to get the equaliser and take the game to penalties, but Mandurah did a great job in defending their lead. The pod army increased the volume and with Kingsway pushing more players forward, Mandurah kept on counter attacking. Four minutes of stoppage time was played before the referee blew the final whistle, which lead to mad scenes both on and off the pitch.

Joint Coaches Pete Taylor and Kris Donnell with the Night Series Cup

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s