The Cost Of Penalties… An Easter Wrap Up

The Easter Monday cup games for our clubs wasn’t the greatest overall for our clubs. Dreams of cup finals in September were shattered like the Easter eggs that were opened in the morning.

The FFA Cup games produced wins for both our sides. Rockingham City over came a stubborn state league division two side Joondalup City, winning 1-0. Head coach Goran Stajic said after the game “We lacked concentration, it was a difficult to pay at such a high level, compared to Saturday’s game with Gwelup. I rotated the squad around for this game and made too many unforced errors. Full credit to Joondalup City for giving us a good game but I felt overall, we had control of the game and was happy with a clean sheet. I I look forward to see who we draw in the next round.”

In the later game, Mandurah City needed penalties to defeat Quinns FC. Quinns scored first when a header from Jeff Bright didn’t quite make it to the goalkeeper and from the resulting cross, the Quinns striker tapped the ball home. Mandurah equalised in the second have with an excellent finish from Jambo. with the scores locked at 1-1 at full time and extra time, the game went to penalties. The penalties can be seen on our Facebook page here After the games, coach Kris Donnell said “We are delighted to go through to the next round today. We couldn’t get into any rhythm in the first half but showed signs in the second half of the form in the night series.” Donnell then added ” It was great to see another youngster come through today, full credit to 16 year old James Campbell who made a massive difference when he came on today.”

In the State league Under 18’s cup, Rockingham City went through against Kelmscott Roos without kicking a ball. Roo’s couldn’t field a team so had to forfeit the game. Mandurah City’s under 18’s lost to NPL side Cockburn City.

There was a win double in the state league reserves cup. Rockingham won 3-0 against Kelmscott, while Mandurah city beat Cockburn City on penalties after that game finished 1-1

A couple of games in the women’s Metropolitan Cup. Rockingham United travelled to Fremantle City. United went 1-0 up before half time with a Mel Hill goal but Freo came back and score 3 goals, with Sarah Buckley getting 2 and Nadia Garland 1. A fightback occured with Mackenzie Allan scoring to make it 3-2, before Sarah Buckley got her hat trick and 4th goals to make the final score 5-2 to Fremantle City.

In the other game, it was a local derby when Mandurah played Rockingham City. As with all games between the two clubs, this was an all action game with plenty of action. Player Lisa Manson gave us this report.

Today saw local PRFC teams come head to head in the women’s cup. South Div. 2 teams Mandurah FC vs Rockingham City FC. With Rockingham being pushed up to Div. 2 after coming 3rd in Div. 3 last season they knew this would be a tough game. They started strong with some well timed through balls and some quick thinking from the forwards they scored 2 goals and looked comfortable and controlled. Being 2-0 up Rockingham began to tire for the last ten minutes of the first half with Mandurah pushing forward and creating plenty of chances, putting Rocky under a lot of pressure. Yet the Rocky back line kept their heads and it was at 2-0 at the break. Second half Mandurah started strong and pressed high causing Rocky to make some mistakes they utilised quickly and came back to 2-2. Rocky replied with some good play from the back, controlled the middle well and took the lead once again.  Mandurah were not phased and took control on the wings to get forward and their pace had them equalise again. With the teams being so closely matched it became a physical battle. With Rocky having to keep up the work rate in the warm weather, scoring twice more to win the game 5-3. Both sides worked well as a team with some exciting plays. Showcasing the depth we have for senior women’s football in our region. And both clubs offering a pathway to senior women’s football for our junior females to work towards.

The Men’s Amateur Cup round was not good for our sides. Baldivis lost 5-2 to North Perth United, Peel United lost 6-5 on penalties to Belmont Villa with Rockingham City lost 5-4 on penalties to Perth AFC. The bright spot was Mandurah City winning 3-0 against Curtin University to book their place in the next round.

In the Men’s Amateur Reserves Cup, it was another sorry state of affairs. Baldivis lost 4-0 to North Perth United, Mandurah City lost 5-4 to Curtin University and Rockingham City lost 5-3 on penalties to Perth AFC. Fortunately, Peel United’s reserve won 4-2 against Belmont Villa.

The Men’s Metropolitan Cup was also a disaster for our clubs. Baldivis lost 4-0 to Carramar Shamrock Rovers, while Mandurah City also lost to Carramar 4-1.

The story of teams losing continued in the Masters Cup. Baldivis lost 3-1 to Bassendean Caledonian, Rockingham United lost 4-2 to Floreat Athena, Mandurah City lost 5-4 on penalties to Wembley Downs but Port Kennedy beat their rivals FC Shoalwater 2-1 to progress to the next round.

Finally, some good news as Baldivis Over 45’s won their tie 2-1 against Perth City.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s